Monday, February 02, 2009

James Joyce - Walking into Eternity

It's been said he would have written like Flann O'Brien had he not been crackbrained; and who am I to disagree.
On the other side,
what James Augustine Aloysius Joyce put on paper is not the worst one could find in the realm of letters, would you agree?
And: It's Jim's 127th birthday today.

So, what about a(n informative and entertaining) 'walk into eternity' and - who knows? - on the very tower in Sandycove we might get served some pints of plain so that we can raise our glasses on Mr. Joyce and his protagonists.


Part one




Part two





For those who did not have the pleasure yet, and those who couldn't get enough of it - voilà:

Pitch'n'Putt with Joyce'n'Beckett
:

Molly Bloom's Soliloquy


Enjoy(ce)! :)

3 comments:

  1. Damn! I forget these important anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I never acquired a taste for Mr Joyce, although considered a literary giant. My loss I am sure, but I know I am not alone in this.
    Crackbrained? You, a non-English speaker, have introduced a new word to me. For a moment I thought he suffered from Freud's addiction while I thought him merely an alcoholic. But Mr Google put me right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jams,
    absolve te.

    jmb,
    I thought Mr. Joyce deserved an attribute less profane than 'crazy'.
    I suggest reading the Dubliners, for a beginning.
    Or you do just wait, until I'll introduce you into the very story which is so moving that I shall (very probably) not again read it to an audience.

    ReplyDelete